Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sleep Paralysis

As someone who experiences this occurrence regularly, I want to try to portray the disturbing feeling and imagery that accompanies the sleep disorder Sleep Paralysis. This disorder causes a person to wake up in their conscious mind before the body is awake (still under temporary paralysis natural to REM sleep) However, as they are conscious and looking about the room, the dream chemical still pumps in the brain, often causing terrifying auditory and visual hallucinations. Strange, evil presences are sensed all while the person is completely unable to move. I think this project will serve as a great outlet for me as well as an educating experience about a disorder that has largely been shunned and covered up in the modern medical world. I've found some images that express the feelings/sights I have been familiar with.

I plan on working with Platinum Palladium, and because it's a bit easier to get a precise print, I want to experiment with distressing my negatives with scratches, blemishes and other modifications.






4 comments:

  1. This project should come out flippin sweet. Did you ever see the movie The Fourth Kind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, no I haven't. A few people have asked me after I told them about this but I don't know if I should provide my brain with the imagery, eek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you thought about how big you want to do them? I like your idea. especially because not only you but others can gain insight with this disorder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In producing your images consider how you are going to create the imagery that relates to those of a hallucination. First off I think of projecting imagery into a space then capturing that space with your DSLR.

    ReplyDelete